Sometimes you don't fancy something sweet but you still want a pudding. Well this cupcake is perfect for those times with the sweet sponge cake and the tang of the lemon curd to help balance things out. This cupcake would be perfect for a summer BBQ or if you just simply like lemon meringue desserts.
This is the recipe I used for the yummy lemon meringue cupcakes.
200g caster sugar
zest of 2 lemons
225g self raising flour
juice from half a lemon
3 egg whites
155g caster sugar
1) Cream the butter, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2) Sift in the flour and beat in the eggs. This will produce a very thick batter so keep adding milk to loosen the mixture to the required consistency.
3) Scoop the batter into 12 cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes on 180°.
4) Allow the cupcakes to cool and cut out a small incision into the top. Use a teaspoon to fill with the lemon curd but be sure to smooth out the top so that it is ready for the meringue.
5) In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until peaks start to form. At this point, gradually beat in the sugar until the meringue forms glossy peaks. You will know that the meringue is ready by turning the bowl upside down, if the meringue does not fall out then the meringue is ready.
6) Pipe the meringue onto the cupcakes and place under the grill at a low temperature until golden. This will only take a few minutes so be sure to keep checking.
Enjoy your cupcakes